The MCR Building is a great space for graduates to work, rest, or play. It is located between Thomas White Quad and Garden Quad. The entrance is at the back of the Building, opposite the entrance to the College squash courts.
There are many facilities for graduates to use in the MCR Building.
- Main Room: the venue for MCR events, and a space for graduates to work or relax in – also contains free tea and coffee for MCR members.
- Kitchen: available for all graduates to use, and includes oven, microwave, electric hob and dishwasher.
- Study Room: providing free printing and quiet space to study.
- TV Room: a venue with a 70″ TV, DVD player, and Sky access.
- Sports Cupboard: containing sports equipment that is free to use for a large range of sports.
- Games Room: contains comfortable sofas and chairs, a 60″ TV, PS3, and various board games.
- Meeting Room: a venue for work, meetings, or gathering people together.
- BBQ: a great way to enjoy a summer evening.
The TV Room is available for all members to use and contains a 70″ TV, DVD player, and Sky access.
The priority list for use of the TV Room (starting with highest priority) is as follows.
- Events run by the Committee.
- Room bookings approved by the the MCR President, and posted on the SJC MCR calendar.
- First-come-first-serve use of the room by a member.
Key Fob Access
If you are an MCR member, you can access the MCR Building by activating your College key fob. You can do this by contacting the President.
Full members can book rooms in the MCR Building by filling out the room booking form at least 24 hours in advance of their booking. Spaces you can book include the Main Room, TV Room, Games Room and Meeting Room. The MCR Member who reserved the space is required to attend the event for its duration and is responsible for the preparation and running of the event, as well as clean-up afterwards. The speakers cannot be used or any events that are not organised by the MCR.
The steps to book a room in the MCR are as follows:
- Look at the MCR Calendar to check that the room you wish to book is available during your required time slot.
- Complete the MCR Room Booking Form.
If the booking is for a group of 12 or fewer people and does not involve an external speaker, the MCR President will review the booking and add it to the calendar, which is confirmation that the event is approved. In the unusual circumstance that the event is NOT approved, the President will contact the member who made the request.
- If the bookings is for a group of more than 12 people (regardless of affiliation as full, associate, or non-members of the MCR), or if there will be an external speaker, the event requires decanal permission. The main room must be booked, and a £100 deposit (as a transfer, cheque, or cash) is required. If the deposit is a cheque, this will be destroyed after the event is run smoothly, so that no money is transferred from a bank account. If you would like to make this type of booking, complete the form above at least 7 days in advance of the event. The MCR President will contact you to explain the process of obtaining decanal permission and making a deposit.
Each member may share the facilities with up to three guests. Members are responsible for their guests and can be held accountable for any damage or disturbance they cause. Unaccompanied guests will be required to leave the MCR Building.