The MCR Building is a great space for graduates to work, rest, or play. It is located between Thomas White Quad and Garden Quad. The entrance is at the back of the Building, opposite the entrance to the College squash courts. There is a lift to the first-floor rooms, which include a wheel-chair accessible toilet. The second-floor rooms (Study Room and Meeting Room) are only accessible via stairs. If you are an MCR member, you can access the MCR Building by activating your College key fob. You can do this by contacting the Secretary
There are many facilities for graduates to use in the MCR Building.
- Main Room: the venue for MCR events, and a space for graduates to work or relax in – also contains free tea and coffee for MCR members.
- Kitchen: available for all graduates to use, and includes oven, microwave, electric hob and dishwasher.
- Study Room: providing free printing and quiet space to study.
- TV Room: a venue with a TV, DVD player, and Sky access.
- Games Room: contains comfortable sofas and chairs, a 60″ TV, PS3, a collection of DVDs, and various board games.
- Meeting Room: a venue with a projector and whiteboard for work, meetings, or gathering people together.
- Sports Cupboard: containing sports equipment that is free to use for a large range of sports.
- Provision for Babies and Children: there is a changing table in the first floor wheelchair-accessible toilet, with a stock of absorbent pads to line it. There is a high chair and children’s cutlery and tableware in the kitchen.
- BBQ: a great way to enjoy a summer evening.
All rooms are available for all members to use. The priority list for use of the TV Room (starting with highest priority) is as follows.
- Events run by the Committee.
- Room bookings approved by the the MCR Secretary, and posted on the SJC MCR calendar.
- First-come-first-serve use of the room by a member.
Full members can book rooms in the MCR Building by filling out the room booking form at least 24 hours in advance of their booking. You can book the Main Room, TV Room, Games Room, Meeting Room or Kitchen. The MCR Member who reserved the space is required to attend the event for its duration and is responsible for the preparation and running of the event, as well as clean-up afterwards. The speakers cannot be used or any events that are not organised by the MCR.
The steps to book a room in the MCR are as follows:
- Look at the MCR Calendar to check that the room you wish to book is available during your required time slot.
- Complete the MCR Room Booking Form.
If the booking is for a group of 20 or fewer people and does not involve an external speaker, the MCR Secretary will review the booking and add it to the calendar, which is confirmation that the event is approved. In the unusual circumstance that the event is NOT approved, the Secretary will contact the member who made the request.
- If the booking is for a group of more than 20 people (regardless of affiliation as full, associate, or non-members of the MCR), or if there will be an external speaker, the event requires decanal permission. The main room must be booked, and a £100 deposit (as a transfer, cheque, or cash) is required. If the deposit is a cheque, this will be destroyed after the event is run smoothly, so that no money is transferred from a bank account. If you would like to make this type of booking, complete the form above at least 7 days in advance of the event. Please note that the booking cannot be confirmed more than 3 weeks in advance, however. The MCR Secretary will contact you to explain the process of obtaining decanal permission and making a deposit.
Each member may share the facilities with up to three guests. Members are responsible for their guests and can be held accountable for any damage or disturbance they cause. Unaccompanied guests will be required to leave the MCR Building.